Mold is an unwanted guest in many homes. It often can go undetected for quite some time. In order to detect it and remove it sooner than later, it is important to be able to recognize the signs of mold. Once you know what to look for, you will be more able to identify it early before it becomes a larger issue. Below are the top signs that you have a mold problem.
- Odor – Mold often smells musty. If you smell a persistent musty smell in your home, then it is a good idea to investigate more to try and identify the cause of the smell.
- Water Damage – Mold usually follows water damage. If you can see where there was a water issues, then it is wise to have it further looked at by a mold expert. Some things to be on the lookout for are bubbling or peeling paint, water stains, and discoloration of walls, floors, or ceiling.
- Flooding – If you know or can see signs that there was a past flooding issue, then there is a good chance that you have a mold problem.
- Visible Mold – Mold can often be visible to the naked eye. It can be white, black, brown, or gray. If it is behind vinyl or wall paper it can even be purple, pink, or orange.
- Health Issues – If you or anyone in your home is experiencing persistent allergies or health issues, then you may have a mold issue. The most common health issues associated with mold are coughing, congestion/runny nose, headaches, skin issues, sneezing, and sore throat.